After much deliberating (and then planning), the Adventure Racing Cooperative (with the help of a host of US race organizations) has decided to put on an event next July 16-18, 2020 at the Ace Resort in West Virginia. The overriding idea of the event is to provide three things:
1) three days of competitive racing (up to 30 hours) for more experienced racers
2) three mornings of skills sessions and 3 afternoons of practice/racing for newer racers
3) an opportunity to meet other racers and to socialize in the evenings and talk about the day, what went right, etc. or just chat about adventure racing in general while relaxing in the beautiful New River Gorge.
You can sign up as a team of any size or as a solo. You can mix/match doing skills sessions and racing.
There will be THREE (or FOUR) main races plus a mountain bike and foot orienteering courses open throughout the weekend.
- Thursday will have a 4 hour orienteering race followed by a 3 hour race, where each experienced racers gets a newer racer for a quick sprint race!
- Friday's race will be an 8 hour race that includes paddling duckies in whitewater, mountain biking, and trekking.
- Saturday's race will be a 10 hour race that includes rafting through class IV/V rapids down the New River, ascending and/or rappelling, mountain biking, and trekking.
The THREE skills sessions will be: Thursday: paddling (kayaks, duckies, and SUPs) followed by a 3-4 hour sprint AR Friday: climbing (ascending and rappelling) followed by a 3-4 hour sprint AR Saturday: map/compassion navigation (beginner and advanced), followed by a 5 hour adventure race We might also add a mountain biking skills session if there is interest.
Your AMAZINGLY cheap race fee is only $275 per person. That includes ALL the races, ALL the skills sessions as well as 3 breakfasts and 3 dinners and a bunch of other stuff. If we get enough people, we'll add more skills sessions if there's interest - mountain biking, night nav, etc.
Lodgings are on your own, but Ace has a host of options from tent camping to RV parking to basic cabins to deluxe cabins.
There's also a restaurant/bar where we ill all be having breakfast and dinners and they sell take-out lunches.
The event webpage is at: www.arcooperative.org/extravaganza/
Happy Holidays from ARC!